Who We Are
Beyond Our Door Global is a Christian non-profit organization that seeks to respectfully see the ignored and overlooked, and then wisely offer care based on recommendations of our local partners.
Our vision is a world where the most oppressed and vulnerable are valued and transformed by the love and compassion of Christ and his people.
We invite those who are keenly aware of their abundance and humbly grateful, to join us in offering hope and healing to the most vulnerable, especially women and children, through carefully chosen and trusted indigenous leaders…Beyond Our Door.
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress. James 1:27 (New Living Translation)
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. Luke 4:18 (New Living Translation)
To be a community of people who are humbly aware of and sensitive to the needs of our world, especially the most vulnerable.
To be a community of people who are grateful for the provisions God has provided.
To be a community of people who sacrificially respond to the needs of others with those provisions, thereby becoming transformed into a grateful and generous people.
Board of Directors
Michael Koupal, President
Sam Hanson, Treasurer
Steve Hanson, CEO
A Letter from Steve Hanson
In 1986, I traveled beyond our U.S. borders for the first time. Port-au-Prince, Haiti was my destination. That visit changed my life forever.
I had never experienced life like this. The smells, the sounds, the sights left me with feelings of despair!
I saw, for the first time, how most of our world lives, everyday…every week!
Since that first visit, I have seen “the poor” up close, and have clearly seen that many are more than poor. Add disease, such as malaria and HIV/AIDS, natural disasters, such as earthquakes and hurricanes, social inequities, such as gender abuse, civic disruptions and corruption and now these poor live in misery. They cry out, and some shout out for someone to hear, for someone to see, for someone to care!
In 1989, we responded by joining an indigenous ministry in Haiti that heard some of those cries. Several years later, we also committed to work with indigenous ministries in Kenya (1991) and Uganda (2003). What we have heard and seen has moved us to respond by partnering in:
- The Mephibosheth House, a Special Needs home in Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- The Huduma HIV Clinic, an HIV/AIDS Clinic and Ministry in the Kawangware Slum of Nairobi, Kenya
- Barefoot Banking, a Micro-Credit Ministry for the trusted poor with good income producing ideas in Kenya, Uganda and Haiti
- Santo Villages, 50+ homes built for the earth quake survivors in Port-au-Prince, Haiti
- Hope Hopes, 50+ homes built for HIV orphans and their grandmother caring for them in Southern Uganda
- Kisa and Suubi Ministries, providing empowering opportunities for the most vulnerable women in Mutingo Hill Slum of Kampala, Uganda
- Upendo Center, a home for the abandoned and traumatized little ones in the Kawangware Slum of Nairobi, Kenya
We invite you to join us as we seek to offer hope and healing to the most oppressed, the most vulnerable, to those living in misery, one person/family at a time, in the name of Jesus.
In His Work Together,
Beyond Our Door Global